Government of New Brunswick


See Hunt Trap book for more information on: season, bag limit, etc.
Licences are for residents only.


Control Methods

Keep them out!

  • Fence small critical areas such as culverts, drains, or other structures.
  • Install barriers around important trees in urban settings.

Change their habitat 
(You will need a watercourse and wetlands alteration permit.)

  • Eliminate foods, trees, and woody vegetation where feasible.  
  • Install a Clemson beaver pond leveller, three-log drain, or other structural device to maintain a lower pond level and avoid further pond expansion. (perforated PVC pipe)
  • Beaver dams may be removed once the beavers are no longer present.
  • Continued destruction of lodges, bank dens, and dams, where legal, will occasionally move young colonies out of an area.


  • Body-gripping traps.
  • Restraining traps used in drowning sets.
  • Basket / suitcase type traps are primarily used for live trapping.
  • Snares can be useful, particularly in dive sets and slides where legal.

Other methods rarely solve a beaver damage problem and may increase risks to humans and other species.


Trapper ID

Every fur harvester and nuisance wildlife control operator has one. This number is assigned to you when you purchase your first licence. It remains the same from year to year. It is used as an identifier:

  • On fur harvester licences
  • In the bobcat draw
  • In nuisance wildlife control activities.