Government of New Brunswick

A prospecting licence is required to prospect or register mineral claims. Application is made through NB e-CLAIMS and is valid for a lifetime. It may be issued to an individual, who is at least 19 years old, to a corporation, or to a partnership. Fees vary depending on the type of applicant.

Subject to certain conditions, a prospector may enter, remain and travel upon land and may prospect, register and work on land open for prospecting and registering. The prospector must work in accordance with the Mining Act and is liable for any damage he/she caused. Please check Land Access and Use for more details.

A prospector may have with him/her such temporary housing, vehicles, machinery, equipment, supplies and personnel as are necessary to prospect and work in accordance with the act. Temporary housing includes tents and trailers. It does not include a log cabin or other permanent structure. These require a licence to occupy or a lease under the Crown Lands and Forests Act.

If asked, a prospector must show his/her licence to an officer appointed under the Mining Act, a forest service officer, a peace officer or a landowner upon whose land the prospector has entered or is about to enter. The Mining Act is also designed to protect landowners' rights without unduly restricting prospectors' rights or mineral exploration in the Province.