The Energy and Mines Division of the Department of Energy and Resource Development (ERD) will be offering English and French introductory level prospecting courses. These courses will take place in Fredericton and will be scheduled during the weekend hours. Registration is on a first come, first served basis with the maximum class size set at 16 participants. Please note, a registration fee of $50.00 will be required.
Course Modules (subject to change)
- Basic prospecting and the mining cycle
- Field gear and safety procedures
- Orienteering: topographic maps, air photos, compass and GPS
- Elements, minerals and mineral families
- Rock types, geological maps and lexicon
- Glacial deposits & landforms
- Mineral deposits & landforms
- Selecting an area to prospect
- Map staking (NB e-CLAIMS)
- Sampling media, methods and protocols
- Analytical labs, methods and protocols
- Promotion and prospecting grants
Course participants are responsible for providing their own meals and overnight accommodations. Coffee breaks will be provided.
You should bring a pocket knife, hiking boots and weather-appropriate clothing as the instructors will try to incorporate a small field trip (weather permitting) at some time during the course.