Government of New Brunswick

The ATV and snowmobile trail systems are managed by the trail managers. The ATV trail manager is the New Brunswick All Terrain Vehicle Federation (NBATVF) and the snowmobile trail manager is the New Brunswick Federation of Snowmobile Clubs Inc. (NBFSC). Use of Crown land for the purpose of trails is granted to the trail managers through formal legal agreements which include specific terms and conditions.

Only the NBATVF and NBFSC can submit applications to use Crown land for motorized trails. Any local club wishing to establish trails on Crown land may do so only through their federation.

A complete proposal must be submitted to the Provincial Trail Planning Committee (PTPC) by the trail manager for pre-screening. Following review, the PTPC will then forward the proposal to the Department of Natural Resources and Energy Development (DNRED) or the Department of Transportation and Infrastructure (DTI) for evaluation, review and recommendations. For DNRED, there is a non-refundable application fee and an insuance fee. 


Typically, authorizations for snowmobile trails on Crown land are provided from December 1 to April 15 each year. Check with the trail manager for more information.

No, it is not part of the trail authorization. To build a club house on Crown land, an application for a lease must be completed and submitted by the trail manager on behalf of the club along with the non-refundable application fee and any required attachments.

You must contact the regional or district office to obtain permission before cutting any trees on Crown land. Trail managers have no timber rights on Crown land.

Shelters may be constructed next to an authorized trail on Crown land provided that:

  • the location is approved by DNRED;
  • they are no larger than 20m² in area;
  • they contain toilets within the shelter or near the shelter in accordance with Department of Health standards;
  • they contain only chairs, benches, a table and a stove;
  • chimneys are equipped with spark arrestors; and
  • they are at least 30 km away from next nearest shelter. 

Requests must be made by the trail manager.

According to the Off-Road Vehicle Act, groomed means to use mechanical equipment to aerate, compact and smooth the snow on a trail.

The entire groomed surface width of a trail or portion of a trail that is identified as a managed trail by signage posted or erected in accordance with the requirements established in an agreement made between the landowner (Crown or private) and the federation.

For more information regarding ATV trails including their location, maintenance standards, and new applications, contact the New Brunswick ATV Federation:

NB ATV Federation
1925 Hanwell Rd., Unit C
Hanwell, NB  E3C 1M4

Phone: (506) 472-5130  |  1-888-847-1100


Email: [email protected]

For more information on snowmobile trails including their location, maintenance standards and new applications, contact the New Brunswick Federation of Snowmobile Clubs Inc. at:

109 Regent Street, Unit 2
Woodstock, NB  E7M 2N6

Phone: (506) 325-2625

Fax: (506) 325-2627


Email: [email protected]

Complaints relating to motorized trails in New Brunswick should be directed to the appropriate trail manager. (NB Federation of Snowmobile Clubs at 506-325-2625 or NB All-Terrain Vehicle Federation at 1-888-847-1100.)

To report illegal activities or unauthorized uses, please call your local RCMP office, the Off-Road Vehicle Enforcement Unit, Department of Public Safety, at 1-877-449-2244 or NB Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (7477).