Thank you for your input. The consultation period is now closed.
The Commission on Electoral Reform is being established to examine electoral reform in the province. The commission consists of 5 members.
The commission has been given the following mandates:
- Assess commitments made by the provincial government in 2014 to contribute to making a more effective Legislature by:
– eliminating barriers to entering politics for underrepresented groups; and
– investigating means to improve participation in democracy, such as preferential ballots and online voting.
- Assess other electoral reform matters that have been raised recently, namely:
– the voting age;
– political contribution rules; and
– political spending rules.
The commission is required to consult with New Brunswickers by:
- engaging experts, interest groups and the public about the issues and options presented in the discussion paper on Electoral Reform; and
- giving New Brunswickers the opportunity to make written submissions.