Government of New Brunswick



Documents required for travel into NB


Following are the types of documents that could be requested at a New Brunswick point of entry. All documentation and photo identification must be current and valid.

1. Establishing identity

Government-issued photo identification:
(one of the following)

  • passport
  • citizenship card
  • Canadian permanent resident card
  • Canadian provincial or territorial health card with photo (BC, AB, ON, QC).
  • Canadian provincial or territorial driver's licence
  • Canadian provincial or territorial government identification cards with photo
  • Canadian military identification
  • federal police identification
  • federal or provincial government employee identification cards
  • Certificate of Indian Status (Status Card) issued by Indian and Northern Affairs Canada

If photo ID is not available, these non-photographic forms of ID may be accepted:
(one of the following)

  • Canadian provincial or territorial health card (some jurisdictions, including NB, SK, MB, NS, PE, NL, YK, NT, NU).
  • Birth certificate
  • Record of Landing Form/Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292)
  • Immigration documents issued to foreign nationals (e.g., Work Permit, Study Permit, Temporary Resident Permit, Refugee Approved Status)
  • Old Age Security (OAS) identification card
  • Court Order related to name change or confirmation of name (must contain: legal name, date of birth, court seal) (accepted by GNB for ID purposes)
  • Citizenship Certificate issued prior to February 1, 2012 (CIC) (large transmission and souvenir (wall mount) copies are not acceptable) (accepted by GNB for ID purposes)

Please note: Other documents, including hunting and fishing licenses will not be accepted as identification.


2.  Acceptable proof of vaccination

  • Paper copy of record or digital copy (including a photograph of your record) is acceptable.
  • Information should include:
    • the type of vaccine, approved by a government or a government-approved authority;
    • the date of administration of first dose, and second dose if applicable; and
    • the traveller’s name and sufficient personal information to match the traveller’s identity documentation.

Persons under 12 years of age are exempt from the requirement to be vaccinated against COVID-19.


3. Acceptable proof of NB residency:

(one of the following)

  • New Brunswick driver’s licence
  • New Brunswick government identification card
  • Government of New Brunswick employee identification card
  • New Brunswick Medicare card
  • Other:
    – Utility Bill – phone, internet, electricity, cable, water/sewer or a home heating fuel invoice (oil, natural gas, propane, etc.).
    • Must be a current bill (no older than 2 months)
    • Must contain name of applicant OR legal guardian or immediate family who live at the same residence

– Bank Statement, cancelled or void cheque with address
– Mortgage Documents
– Personal Income Taxes
– Property Tax Bill
– Residential Lease (must be completed and signed by landlord & tenant)
– Social Assistance Benefit Confirmation including Employment Insurance
– Employment confirmation or pay stub
– Child Tax Credit Cheque/stub
– Declaration from a Guarantor form


4. Acceptable proof of Canadian residency

The Government of New Brunswick defines a Canadian “resident” as a person lawfully entitled to be or to remain in Canada, who makes their home and is ordinarily present in Canada, and pays income taxes in Canada, but does not include a tourist, transient or visitor to the country.

Acceptable proof of Canadian residency:
(one of the following)

  • Canadian driver license
  • Utility bill with Canadian address (electricity, gas, telephone, internet)
  • Student ID card
  • Canadian passport
  • Birth certificate from a Canadian province or territory
  • Certificate of Indian Status (paper or plastic card)
  • Registered Indian record (certified)
  • Certificate of Canadian citizenship (plastic card)
  • Permanent Resident Card
  • Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IM 5292 or IM 5688)
  • Record of landing (IM 1000)
  • Study permit
  • Work permit

5. Acceptable proof of employment / travel for work

(one of the following)

  • Employment Confirmation
    – Current work-issued photo ID
    – Pay stub
    – Job offer
    – Letter from employer confirming employment
  • WorkSafeNB approved travel plan
  • WorkSafeNB approved isolation elements of an operational plan
  • Solemn affirmation (e.g. self-employed)

6. Commuting (inter-provincial)

(one of the following)

  • Proof of home address and work address
  • Must live in or near an interprovincial border community and commute to and from work locally, where the person lives in one province and works or operates a business in another
  • Solemn affirmation


7. Acceptable proof of significant other     

(Significant other is defined as persons in an intimate partner relationship.)
(one of the following)

  • Copies of government-issued ID with the same address
  • Proof of separation if previously married
  • Proof of joint ownership/ rental agreement of property
  • Proof of joint utility accounts (e.g. electricity, gas, telephone, internet), joint credit card accounts, or joint bank accounts
  • Joint vehicle insurance documents
  • Solemn affirmation from both parties (one or separate letters)

8. Acceptable proof of moving to NB

(one of the following)

  • Documentation from landlord confirming rent, lease agreement
  • Purchase and sale agreement, deed, mortgage information
  • Documentation from family or friends confirming residence
  • Solemn affirmation
  • Residence under construction:
    – Deed or mortgage of lot
    – Building permit or other approvals to construct
    – Contracts for building with estimated completion date

9. Acceptable proof of travelling through NB

(one of the following)

  • Documentation from an employer
  • Documentation confirming property ownership in another province
  • Accommodation or ferry reservation
  • Documentation confirming health care appointment
  • Custody-sharing agreement
  • Travel registration confirmation from another province

10. Acceptable proof of shared custody

(one of the following)

  • Joint custody order or agreement
  • Letter signed by both parents and notarized, or two separate letters one signed by each and both notarized

11. Acceptable proof of medical travel

  •  Correspondence or documentation from health care practitioner/health care facility confirming appointment