Your responsibilities as a tenant
The basic responsibilities of tenants include the following:
- Pay your rent on time
- Follow the rules and terms of your lease
- Respect the dignity and rights of other tenants and building staff
- Ensure that you or your guests do not create a nuisance or disturbance
- Repair any damage you or your guests may cause
- Keep the rental unit reasonably clean, including any items provided by your landlord
- Respect the health and safety regulations of the building and ensure that you are not causing any health and safety risks to other tenants or the environment
- Communicate any needs for specific accommodations and cooperate in the accommodation process
- Provide proper notice when ending a lease
If you can’t pay your rent
Talk to your landlord. You may be able to come to an agreement such as a payment plan.
If you are unable to come to an agreement or pay your rent owing, there are programs available to help individuals and families pay their rent and find safe and suitable housing.