Note: Please ensure you have attached necessary documents in Word or PDF format. Links to cloud-based documents (Skydrive, Google Docs, etc.) or other download areas (FTP sites) cannot be accepted due to current Government of New Brunswick security policies.
Vacancy for appointment
Office of the Commissioner of Official Languages
Commissioner of Official Languages for New Brunswick
The Commissioner of Official Languages has the mandate to promote the advancement of both official languages in New Brunswick. Members of the public have the right to receive provincial government services in the official language of their choice. The Commissioner of Official Languages has the mandate to conduct and carry out investigations pursuant to any complaint made to the Commissioner or on his or her own initiative with respect to the Official Languages Act. Following an investigation, the Commissioner can make recommendations on improvements or corrections to be made in order to ensure compliance with the Act. These recommendations, including any opinions and reasons for the recommendations, will be communicated to the Premier, to the senior officials of the institutions concerned, and to the complainant.
Appointed under the authority of the Official Languages Act, the Commissioner is an officer of the Legislative Assembly and is independent of the executive branch of government.
- A demonstrated passion and respect for the preservation and promotion of New Brunswick’s two official languages;
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in the field of law, social sciences, government studies, business or related discipline;
- Minimum of 10 years work experience in one or a combination of the following:
- Administrative law and procedure;
- Extensive interpretation of legislation, regulation and policy;
- Resolution of disputes of a sensitive and confidential nature using formal and informal conflict resolution approaches;
- Senior management experience in a private or public sector organization, including managing financial and human resources;
- Knowledge of the mandate of the Office of the Commissioner of Official Languages;
- An understanding of the structure and operation of the Government of New Brunswick;
- Superior written and verbal communication skills;
- Ability to communicate effectively in both official languages;
- Ability to interact effectively with senior government officials;
- Must be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident.
- Familiarity with the New Brunswick culture and context
- Compensation and benefits comparable to Deputy Heads within the Government of New Brunswick
- Travel is required
- Term: Seven years, non-renewable
- Location: Fredericton
You should include details of your education, work experience, references, language proficiency, contact information (telephone and email), and any other relevant information demonstrating your suitability. Please also include a short paragraph (maximum 250 words) summarizing why you believe you would be a good candidate for this position.
Applicants must clearly demonstrate the essential qualifications to be given further consideration. Please ensure that preferred language for assessment is identified on your submission.
Expressions of interest that clearly demonstrate your qualifications may be submitted by e-mail, regular mail or fax. Please ensure you have attached necessary documents in Word or PDF format. Links to cloud-based documents (Skydrive, Google Docs, etc.) or other download areas (FTP sites) cannot be accepted due to current Government of New Brunswick security policies.
We thank all those who apply however only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Candidates will be required to successfully complete a comprehensive assessment that may include testing, interview, and/or a presentation to a selection committee.
We are committed to ensuring that appointments are representative of New Brunswick's regions and official languages, as well as of women, Aboriginal peoples, disabled persons and visible minorities.
Legislative Assembly of New Brunswick
Attention: The Clerk
PO Box 6000, 706 Queen Street
Fredericton, NB E3B 5H1
Fax: (506) 444-3311
Deadline for Submission :
28 August 2019
Type of Appointment :
Appointment by the Lieutenant-Governor in Council, on the recommendation of the Legislative Assembly
Seven years, non-renewable
Associated / Responsible Department :Legislative Assembly of New Brunswick
E-mail address for submissions :