The two Regional Health Authorities provide Extra-Mural Program services.
Services are available to all residents of New Brunswick who meet the following eligibility criteria. The individual:
- has a valid New Brunswick Medicare Card (or is in the process of receiving one)
- has an identifiable health care or functional need that can be addressed through the Extra-Mural Program services
- has a need that requires the provision of health care services in the individual's natural environment
- has a natural environment that is suitable for the care and service to be provided, both for the individual and the service provider
- resides within the area serviced
- is referred by an attending physician or designate who has admitting privileges in the Regional Health Authority. For rehabilitation services, the individual can be self-referred or referred by any professional or agency, and
- the individual desires and accepts Extra-Mural Program services.
The Extra-Mural Program provides comprehensive home health care services to New Brunswickers in their homes and in their communities. Extra-Mural professionals provide health care services that include: assessment, interventions (including treatment, education and consultation), service planning and coordination. Professional service providers include: nurses, licensed practical nurses, registered dietitians, respiratory therapists, occupational therapists, physiotherapists, speech language pathologists, rehabilitation aides and social workers. Services offered include: acute care, palliative care, home oxygen program, long term care assessment and rehabilitation services.
For more information regarding Extra-Mural services in your area use the Related Links provided.