Film - Short Film Venture Program
The Short Film Venture Program (SFVP) assists emerging New Brunswick filmmakers who have a serious interest in establishing a career in filmmaking and in producing a “calling card” film. The program is an initiative of the Department of Tourism, Heritage and Culture in cooperation with the New Brunswick Filmmakers, Co-operative of Fredericton, NB.
An eligible applicant must be a resident of New Brunswick as of the last day of the immediately preceding taxation year (December 31). In addition, they must have resided in the province at least 8 months in that year. Please refer to the “Who can apply section” of the SFVP documentation which contains important information about eligibility and conditions of this program.
• The Department of Tourism, Heritage and Culture’s contribution is limited to 25% of the total cost of the project up to a maximum of $4,000 for digital projects and $6,000 for celluloid-based projects. The funds will be disbursed as follows:
– 70% of the contribution upon signature of the agreement;
– 30% upon receipt of the fine cut copy and final cost report.
• A minimum of 10% of the production budget must be invested in cash. The 10% can come from other funding sources such as the Canada Council, NB Arts Board, Telefilm Canada, personal funds, family and friends.
Projects submitted should meet the following guidelines:
• Be fictional in nature but could include parts of comedy, animation and docu-drama;
• Have a running time of 10 minutes or less;
• Be shot on film or digital video, and may be completed in film or digital video provided they meet standard broadcast requirements;
• The medium, theme, and subject matter are up to the applicant, provided the project is suitable for general audiences;
• The project must utilize production resources available within New Brunswick. Permission must be sought to utilize outside resources.
• Projects not accepted: Experimental, animation, documentary or commissioned films will not be considered. Projects must not have started before the SFVP call date.
Previous applicants of the New Brunswick Short Film Venture Program, who were non-recipients, are eligible to apply.