Free Tuition Program
The Free Tuition Program (FTP) is designed to help post-secondary students by providing more upfront bursary funding to students from families with the greatest financial need so that they may graduate with less debt, and increasing affordability and access for New Brunswick student financial assistance recipients choosing to attend a public college or university located in New Brunswick.
To be eligible for the FTP, you must meet all of the following requirements.
• apply to the New Brunswick Student Financial Assistance Program and demonstrate eligibility for federal and provincial funding;
• be enrolled full-time on/after August 1, 2016, in an undergraduate degree, diploma or certificate program, at a publicly funded university or college located in New Brunswick;
• have a gross family income of $60,000 or less;
• not have exceeded the loan year* FTP maximum of $10,000 for university/$5,000 for college students;
• not have exceeded the FTP lifetime limit:
- three years for college programs;
- four years for most university programs (five years, if that is the established timeline of the program); and
- four years for a combination of college and university studies (five years, if that is the established timeline of the program).
* Loan year is defined as August 1 each year to July 31 the following year.
The Free Tuition Program (FTP) is a new non-repayable provincial bursary designed to make post-secondary more accessible through the provision of increased upfront financial assistance. The goal of the FTP is to ensure that tuition costs are covered for those students with the greatest financial need.
The FTP is delivered through the New Brunswick Student Financial Assistance Program. The FTP, in conjunction with existing federal grants, will provide an amount equivalent to tuition costs and will be available to students for the established timeline of their program. For example, a student beginning their Bachelor of Arts program in September 2016 can receive the FTP for four years of study.
Student financial assistance application forms and the Information Guide are available online at studentaid.gnb.ca. Student Financial Services can be reached by calling 506-453-2577 in the Fredericton area or outside toll-free zone; the rest of New Brunswick, the Atlantic Provinces and west to mid-Ontario can call 1-800-667-5626.