Wage Incentive – One-Job Pledge
Retaining our trained young professionals is part of a series of strategies aimed at rebuilding New Brunswick to accelerate our economic growth and provide us with an enhanced quality of life. To help achieve this goal, the New Brunswick Government, through its employment programs, is offering employers an improved wage incentive when they hire a recent post-secondary graduate in a job related to his or her field of study.
- Must be unemployed and be residing in New Brunswick or be willing to establish residency in New Brunswick.
- Must have graduated from a recognized post-secondary institution in the last four years.
- Post-Secondary Training must meet the following requirements:
1. Be at least 30 weeks in duration or be training accredited by an apprenticable trade; AND
2. Be provided by a Private Occupational Training Act (POTA) recognized institution; AND/OR
3. Be recognized by respective industry as post-secondary training that lead directly to full time permanent employment.
- Must not be an immediate family member of the employer (spouse, child, parent, brother, sister), nor can they be an officer or a director of the organization or an immediate family member of an officer or a director.
- The employer must be a private sector company, non-profit organization or First Nation.
- Employer must be prepared to provide training.
Note: Public sector positions are not eligible for funding.
- Jobs are for a minimum of 30 hours per week.
- Jobs are incremental (with flexibility for Priority Groups).
- Jobs must be related to the employee’s field of study.
- Jobs are not paid strictly on a commission basis or piece work basis, or by the kilometer.
- Jobs are not already publicly funded.
- Jobs do not displace permanent employees on layoff, vacation, parental or sick leave.
- Jobs will lead to permanent full time positions.
- Jobs within First Nations are eligible except for those which are related to the band's management.
- Jobs must not start before the approval of the Department.
The wage reimbursement for a recent post-secondary graduate is $10 per hour, for a maximum of 40 hours per week. The duration of a subsidy for a recent post-secondary graduate is 52 weeks. The employee must be paid at least $14.00 per hour.
Note: If the employee is paid less than $14.00 per hour, refer to Employer Wage Incentive - Workforce Expansion in the Related Links section.
Hiring is the responsibility of the employer, and it must not occur prior to the Department’s approval. Jobs must be filled within 30 days upon approval.
Participating employers will pay the employees hired under this program and will subsequently submit wage claim forms to the Department for reimbursement. Employers must not withhold wages while waiting to be reimbursed.
Employers interested in participating in the Workforce Expansion Program can submit an application (see section ‘Forms and Packages’) to the appropriate departmental office.