Government of New Brunswick


Generally, a person has two names; the first is your given name, the last, or family name, is your surname. To legally change either name on your birth certificate, contact the Vital Statistics Branch. If you simply wish to use your new marital surname (your husband’s family name or your wife’s family name), bring your official marriage certificate and government photo ID to any Service New Brunswick service centre.


To change your registered name, you must be a resident of New Brunswick for at least three months, be 19 years of age or older, or have been married. A parent with legal custody of a minor child may have the child’s registered name changed also.


Contact the Vital Statistics Branch to receive a Change of Name information package and application.
As part of the application you must provide a long form birth certificate and / or Canadian immigration document(s).

You must also provide information about your background, such as:

your marital status
your present and previous addresses
your occupation
the reason you want to change your name
information about any criminal record you may have, current court cases you may be involved in, or if you have applied to have your name changed before.


Unless otherwise specified, Fees exclude the harmonized sales tax (HST).

Fee DescriptionRate in $Effective Date
Change of Name 
  Given name 100.001991-01-01
  Surname 125.001993-01-01
  Child's surname done at same time as parent's surname change 50.001991-01-01
  Duplicate change of name certificate15.001998-01-01
  Search for a name change 15.001998-01-01