Child Witnessing Family Violence
Supporting mothers and children through a range of interventions offered in transition houses.
Women and children in the provinces' transition houses.
A Children's Support Worker is available in each transition house to implement the following strategies:
1. Crisis intervention: Is available to children when needed.
2. Play based interventions: This is a semi-structured supervised play, which provides children with an opportunity to have positive, nurturing, adult attention in a safe and relaxed atmosphere.
3. Psycho-educational Interventions: Involved the provision of learning opportunities for the child.
4. Referral/Linkages: Are done with community resources/agencies, when needed.
5. Parenting/Skill Development: Place a focus on effective parenting and discipline strategies and the effects on children of witnessing family violence.