Photo ID Card
Available to residents of New Brunswick for use as identification when they do not hold a valid drivers license.
No age restriction
Valid for 4 years
Applicants must submit:
• at least one document from the Acceptable Identification documents list (List 1)
• at least two documents from the list of Acceptable Proof of New Brunswick Residency documents (List 2).
• Proof of name change if applicable (i.e. marriage certificate, divorce papers, or Certificate of Name Change.
List 1 - Acceptable Identification Documents (at least one required)
Note: Documents submitted must contain the applicant’s full legal name and date of birth and must be valid. Only original documents or copies certified by the issuing agency are acceptable.
- Enhanced Canadian Driver Licences (EDL)/Enhanced ID Cards
- Valid Canadian Passport
- Canadian Provincial/Territorial Government-issued Birth Certificate
- DND Driver Permit
- Court Order related to name change or confirmation of name (must contain: legal name, date of birth, court seal)
- Secure Certificate of Indian Status (SCIS)
- Record of Landing (Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC)) ( Form # IMM 1000) (Original document only; certified copies are not acceptable)
- Permanent Resident Card (CIC)
- Citizenship Certificate issued prior to February 1, 2012 (CIC) (large transmission and souvenir (wall mount) copies are not acceptable)
- Study Permit (CIC) (Form # IMM 1442)
- Work Permit (CIC) (Form # IMM 1442)
- Visitor Record (CIC) (Form # IMM 1442)
- Temporary Resident Permit (CIC) (Form # IMM 1442)
- Valid Foreign Passport with Accompanying Immigration Document (Form # IMM 1942)
List 2 - Acceptable Proof of New Brunswick Residency (at least two required)
Note: Documents used from this list must reflect the address being used for the driver licence / identification card.
- A Utility Bill – phone, internet, electricity, cable, water/sewer or a home heating fuel invoice (oil, natural gas, propane, etc.)
o Must be a current bill (no older than 2 months)
o Must contain name of applicant OR legal guardian; immediate family member which includes parent, husband, wife - including common-law & same sex marriage; grandfather, grandmother; son, daughter, brother, sister, step brother, step sister) who live at the same residence
- Bank Statement, cancelled or void cheque with address
- Mortgage Documents
- Personal Taxes (current year)
- Property Tax Bill
- Residential Lease (must be completed and signed by landlord & tenant)
- Social Assistance Benefit Confirmation (welfare, EI)
- Employment Confirmation or pay stub
- Child Tax Credit Cheque/stub
- Declaration from a Guarantor form
Unacceptable Identification: Medicare Cards, Social Insurance Number (SIN) cards, Liquor Control Photo ID Cards, Library Cards, Fishing or Hunting Licences, Credit Cards
Any applicant who is under the age of 16 must be accompanied by
- their parent or
- their custodial parent in cases of separation or divorce, or
- legal guardian at the time of submitting the application.
It is not acceptable to have another adult (grandparent, baby sitter, neighbor, etc.) "vouch" for the applicant. The identity of the parent or guardian must be verified as per the identification standards and copies of the documents used to verify the applicant and the parent or guardian must be maintained.
Changes To Fees
This document provides the rationale supporting changes to fees, associated revenue information, and the legal authority:
Unless otherwise specified, Fees exclude the harmonized sales tax (HST).
|Fee Description||Rate in $||Effective Date|