Senior Goodwill Ambassador Program
Senior Goodwill Ambassadors are volunteers who promote the positive aspects and potential of New Brunswick in their own county of residence and beyond.
In order to be considered as a Senior Goodwill Ambassador individuals must be:
- a senior citizen of New Brunswick (60 and older);
- retired from full-time paid employment;
- enthusiastic about New Brunswick and its benefits;
- able and willing to meet and speak to individuals and groups;
- friendly and outgoing;
- knowledgeable about their county specifically and New Brunswick generally; and
- willing to learn, travel and meet people.
In 1987, the government recognized that New Brunswick had a widespread image problem. In 1990, the Government developed a 36 point action plan of ways to raise the province's image both at home and abroad.
A plan was developed to appoint 28 Senior Goodwill Ambassadors from all parts of the province for a two year term. The project was launched with a first meeting of the Senior Goodwill Ambassadors in January 1991. The number of ambassador positions has since been increased to 35.
Senior Goodwill Ambassadors are volunteers who promote the positive aspects and potential of New Brunswick in their own county of residence and in other places by:
- becoming aware of the positive aspects of New Brunswick;
- making presentations to schools, community colleges, service clubs, organizations, and businesses to promote New Brunswick;
- providing information/assistance to visitors to the local areas;
- greeting visitors to the province;
- reading New Brunswick Legends to individuals of all ages; and
- highlighting New Brunswick wherever they may travel
Senior Goodwill Ambassadors submit a monthly report outlining the activities in which they have participated.
Senior Goodwill Ambassadors have an opportunity to:
- meet people from all corners of the province and other parts of the world;
- increase and share their knowledge about their locality and the province;
- promote all aspects of New Brunswick;
- influence positively the image that New Brunswickers and others have of this province as a place to live, work, raise a family, start business, retire, etc.
All Senior Goodwill Ambassadors will:
- participate in an orientation session, an Annual Meeting and any other necessary meetings as scheduled by their Program Coordinator;
- be provided with materials such as business cards, lapel pins, bookmarks, tourist information, and a book of New Brunswick Legends;
- as volunteers, receive reimbursement for approved out-of-pocket expenses (e.g. mileage).
This volunteer appointment is for two years with a possibility of reappointment. Reappointment, however, is not guaranteed. Ambassadors are expected to schedule their own time and activities, keeping in mind the season of the year and weather conditions. On average, a time commitment of approximately 2-3 hours per week is expected.