Wine Excellence Award winners announced31 October 2016
FREDERICTON (GNB) – The Wine Excellence Awards were held on Oct. 4 in Fredericton. The wines were judged by Bill Vance, Craig Pinhey, Mario Griffin, Jonathan Wilson, Richard Noiles and NB Liquor product advisors.
The award winners in each category are:
- Best Cabernet Sauvignon: Aconcagua Cabernet Sauvignon;
- Best Old World Blend: Botter Gran Passione Rosso IGT Veneto;
- Best Chardonnay: Marques de Casa Concha Chardonnay;
- Best Malbec: Trivento Golden Reserve Malbec;
- Best New World Red Blend: Troublemaker Red Blend;
- Best Other White Grape Varietal: Casa Silva 1912 Old Vines Sauvignon Gris;
- Best Pinot Grigio: Nugan Annelise Pinot Grigio;
- Best Pinot Noir: Kim Crawford Small Parcels Pinot Noir;
- Best Sauvignon Blanc: Kim Crawford Small Parcels Sauvignon Blanc Spitfire;
- Best Shiraz: Jacobs Creek Double Barrel Barossa Shiraz;
- Best Sparkling: Simonnet-Febvre Crémant de Bourgogne Brut;
- Best White Blend: Domaine du Tariquet Premières Grives;
- Showstopper Champagne: Veuve Cliquot Rosé;
- Showstopper Red: Finca Pedernal;
- Smart Buy Red Under $25: Tom Gore Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon; and
- Smart Buy White Under $25: Tom Gore Vineyards Chardonnay.
Honorable mentions were awarded to:
- Honourable Mention Other Red Grape Varietal: 1000 Stories Zinfandel;
- Honourable Mention Shiraz: Barossa Valley Estates Shiraz;
- Honourable Mention Malbec: Bodegas Argento Malbec Reserva Organic;
- Honourable Mention Other Red Grape Varietal: Bodegas Garzon Tannat;
- Honourable Mention Pinot Noir: Bougrier Signature Pinot Noir;
- Honourable Mention Old World Red Blend: Château de Ricaud;
- Honourable Mention Pinot Grigio: Chloe Pinot Grigio;
- Honourable Mention Sauvignon Blanc: Eradus Sauvignon Blanc;
- Honourable Mention Cabernet Sauvignon: Gran Lurton Cabernet Sauvignon;
- Honourable Mention Chardonnay: Rodney Strong Sonoma County Chardonnay;
- Honourable Mention White Blend: Roscato Bianco IGT Delle Venezie;
- Honourable Mention Sparkling: Ruffino Sparkling Rosé;
- Honourable Mention New World Red Blend: Santa Ema Catalina; and
- Honourable Mention Other White Varietal: Surani Arthemis Fiano IGT.
Bottles of these winners will be available for sale while quantities last at NB Liquor’s Pop-Up Wine Shop, which will be set up as part of the World Wine and Food Expo taking place Nov. 4 and 5 at the Moncton Coliseum. Additional bottles have been ordered and will be available in select stores starting this spring.
NB Liquor will showcase more than 300 products from 13 countries during the expo. People who are not attending the festival can visit the Pop-Up Wine Shop on Friday, Nov. 4, from 1 p.m. to 11 p.m. and on Saturday, Nov. 5, from 10 a.m. to 11 p.m.
From 10 a.m. to noon on Saturday, Nov. 5, certain exclusive premium wines that are not in the expo will be available to purchase while supplies last. The event is open to the public. Guests from three wineries in Spain, France and Italy will offer samples and answer questions. Vintner Rocio Osborne, from France, will be available to meet the public from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m.
NB Liquor reminds festival attendees to enjoy the Grand Tastings responsibly and plan ahead by taking a convenient and complimentary bus service between downtown Moncton and the coliseum. There will also be a wine check available to store purchases while people attend the expo.