Changes to senior leadership in government announced26 September 2012
FREDERICTON (GNB) – Tom Mann, a labour lawyer and former executive director of the New Brunswick Union, will join the provincial government as deputy minister at the Department of Post-Secondary Education, Training and Labour, Premier David Alward announced today.
“Tom’s background and experience will serve New Brunswickers as a tremendous asset in advancing our government’s renewed focus on developing a strong labour force and strengthening our economy,” Alward said. “He will also play a key role extending our new pension model to a number of private and public sector plans, helping achieve our goal of making pensions in New Brunswick more secure, sustainable and affordable.”
In addition to Mann’s appointment, Alward announced the following changes to senior leadership within the civil service, effective Oct. 1:
- In anticipation of the retirement of deputy minister Doug Holt, Management Board functions related to financial resource planning will return to the Department of Finance. Human Resources will become a separate department. The Chief Information Office will remain part of the Executive Council Office.
- Jane Garbutt, currently deputy minister at the Department of Finance, will move to the new Department of Human Resources as deputy minister. She will serve as acting deputy minister at the Department of Finance until a replacement is recruited through an independent, external process.
- Marc Léger, currently deputy minister at the Department of Post-Secondary Education, Training and Labour, has been appointed deputy minister at the Department of Health.
- Jean Finn, currently executive vice-president of system planning and market development with the New Brunswick System Operator, has been appointed deputy minister at the new Department of Energy and Mines.
- Carolyn MacKay, currently deputy minister at the Department of Culture, Tourism and Healthy Living, has been appointed deputy minister at the new Department of Healthy and Inclusive Communities.
- Kelly Cain, currently assistant deputy minister responsible for tourism, parks and attractions, has been promoted to deputy minister at the new Department of Tourism, Heritage and Culture.
- Tim Porter, formerly an assistant deputy minister with the departments of Government Services, Culture, Tourism and Healthy Living and Communications New Brunswick, has been appointed secretary to the Council of Atlantic Premiers. Porter replaces Don Osmond, who has retired.
"I am confident this leadership team has the right mix of skills and experience to rebuild our economy, bring our province back to fiscal health, and shift our efforts toward a more focused, efficient and effective system of program and service delivery," Alward said. "I also thank Doug Holt and retired deputy minister at the Department of Health, Don Ferguson, for their years of service to the people of New Brunswick.”
Following is the complete list of deputy ministers, deputy heads and presidents of Crown corporations (* denotes a change or addition):
Chief of Staff, Office of the Premier
Clerk of the Executive Council and Secretary to Cabinet
Deputy Minister, Executive Council Office
Deputy Minister, Office of the Premier
Deputy Minister, Strategic Initiatives, Executive Council Office
Secretary to the Policy and Priorities committee of Cabinet, Executive Council Office
Deputy Attorney General and Deputy Minister of Justice
Deputy Minister, Public Safety
Deputy Minister, Finance (acting), Deputy Minister, Human Resources
Deputy Minister, Government Services
President, Service New Brunswick
President, New Brunswick Internal Services Agency
Deputy Minister, Transportation and Infrastructure
Deputy Minister, Natural Resources
Deputy Minister, Energy and Mines
Deputy Minister, Agriculture, Aquaculture and Fisheries
Deputy Minister, Health
Deputy Minister, Social Development
Deputy Minister, Post-Secondary Education, Training and Labour
Deputy Minister, Education and Early Childhood Services (francophone sector)
Deputy Minister, Education and Early Childhood Services (anglophone sector)
Deputy Minister, Environment and Local Government
President, Efficiency NB
Deputy Minister, Economic Development
President, Regional Development Corporation
President, Invest NB
Deputy Minister, Tourism, Heritage and Culture
Deputy Minister, Healthy and Inclusive Communities
Deputy Minister, Aboriginal Affairs