Healthy living means making positive choices that enhance your personal physical health and foster your mental and spiritual health. You make these choices when you:
- Enjoy physical activity as part of your daily life to keep your body strong, reduce stress, improve your energy, and have fun. See Canada’s Physical Activity Guide for great suggestions.
- Eat a variety of nutritious food from all of the food groups as suggested by Canada's Food Guide to Healthy Eating and consider the portion sizes.
- Choose not to use or abuse substances that harm your health and well-being (like tobacco, drugs and alcohol).
- Create a supportive environment of people who care for you and respect you.
- Strive for a balance in all aspects of your life: social, physical, spiritual, economical and mental.
Healthy living is often affected by your home and work environment (for example, smoke free public places mean less exposure to second hand smoke or if you park further away from your destination, you can build in more walking time). Often healthy initiatives are offered within your own community. Learn about positive health opportunities, in doing so, you are taking that first step to improving your overall health and sense of well-being.
How can we embrace healthy living?
As proposed in the Wellness Strategy, the first thing New Brunswickers need to do is to change the way we live, to live healthier lifestyles and to assume personal responsibility for our own health.