The Government of New Brunswick has developed a policy that will encourage the public service to promote and purchase local, healthy food and beverages during government hosted meetings and events.
Government is ‘leading-by-example’ by committing to, where possible, promoting and purchasing local, healthy food and beverages from local producers. By supporting New Brunswick producers, we are promoting sustainability, supporting the local economy and contributing to the wellness of New Brunswickers.
The following Policy principles will guide departments and agencies to:
- Encourage and promote the use of local, healthy food during government hosted and sponsored meetings/events;
- Encourage the purchase and promotion of locally produced beverages (i.e. New Brunswick wines) during appropriate government hosted and sponsored events;
- Encourage other practices that contribute to a healthy meeting or event such as using tobacco-free facilities, offering physical activities. and choosing greener options;
- Adopt the suggestions outlined in the document entitled “Putting Health on the Agenda: A Model Policy for Healthy Meetings” and the guidelines and checklist provided;
- Share information about where local, healthy New Brunswick products can be sourced; and
- NB provincial departments and agencies will comply with public health legislation.
It is important to note that any procurement or purchase decisions made shall not contravene internal trade or procurement agreements. This Policy promotes local purchasing but does not mandate it.
The attached website links will guide meeting planners in their adoption of the policy.