Ironworker (Generalist) - Apprenticeship and Occupational Certification
Apprenticeship is a long-standing part of the training and education system in New Brunswick. It is a structured training program that requires the committed participation of three partners: the apprentice, the employer and the government represented by Apprenticeship and Occupational Certification.
This apprenticeship training program is designed to provide you with the skills and knowledge required to become qualified as a Ironworker (Generalist).
To register as an apprentice, you must have successfully completed and possess a Grade 12 diploma or an Adult High School diploma or a GED or a Diploma of Apprenticeship in another occupation, and be employed in the occupation with an employer who is willing to enter into an apprenticeship agreement with you.
In this program you will receive a combination of on-the-job training and related classroom training, designed to produce fully qualified persons of journeyperson status in the Ironworker (Generalist) occupation. Under the direction of an employer and qualified instructors, you will become fully familiar with the materials, tools, principles and skills required in the Ironworker (Generalist) occupation.
During your training, specific tasks will include:
- a knowledge of personal safety, safe working habits and accident prevention;
- the fabrication, assembling, installation, hoisting, erection, dismantling, reconditioning, adjusting, alteration, repairing and servicing of all structural ironwork, precast and prestressed concrete, concrete reinforcing ferrous and non-ferrous materials in curtain walls, ornamental and miscellaneous metal work and all other materials used in lieu thereof in the field;
- the application of sealant, where applicable;
- the moving and placing of machinery and heavy equipment by rigging, including the use of slings, ropes, rollers, jacks, cribbing and hoisting devices;
- the interpreting of blueprints, including those taken from original architectural and engineering drawings;
- the interpreting of symbols, abbreviations and terminology pertaining to the ironworker(generalist) occupation;
- the ability to recognize and use proficiently all the tools of the ironworker(generalist) occupation, both hand and power;
- a knowledge of basic welding, burning edge preparation and use of welding symbols and the ability to tack all types of materials used in the ironworker(generalist) occupation;
- the interpreting of schedules, bar graphs, material lists, time sheets and time cards;
- a working knowledge of mathematics and physics pertaining to the ironworker(generalist) occupation; and
- the selecting, assembling and erection of scaffolding.
This training program requires a minimum of 5400 hours of employment and training.
A New Brunswick Diploma of Apprenticeship and a Certificate of Qualification will be awarded upon successful completion of 5400 hours of on the job and technical training and the final examination. In most instances, an Interprovincial Red Seal will be affixed to these documents.
A person who has gained the equivalent of 7200 hours of practical experience in the Ironworker (Generalist) occupation may apply to challenge the certification examination. Successful candidates will receive a New Brunswick Certificate of Qualification. In most instances, an Interprovincial Red Seal will be affixed to the document.
Persons successfully completing this training program may be employed with construction contractors or structural steel contractors.
|Fee Description||Rate in $||Effective Date|
|Interprovincial Standards Examination||100.00||2012-07-31|
|Certificate of Qualification Examination||2012-07-31|
|Certificate of Qualification based on "out-of-province journeyperson status"||150.00||2012-07-31|
|Replacement of Certification Documents||15.00||2012-07-31|
|Tuition Fees - Technical Training weekly rate||60.00||2012-07-31|
|Certificate of Qualification Challenger Assessment Fee||100.00||2012-07-31|
|Prior Learning Assessment||100.00||2012-07-31|
|Apprenticeship Registration Fee||25.00||2012-07-31|
|Replacement of Photo Identification Card||20.00||2012-07-31|
|Replacement of Progress Record Book||25.00||2012-07-31|
|Assessment of Foreign Credentials||100.00||2012-07-31|