Public consultation on workers’ compensation system26 October 2017
FREDERICTON (GNB) – The independent task force appointed to examine the workers’ compensation system in New Brunswick today released a discussion paper and a schedule of public meetings to encourage participation in its upcoming consultation process.
“The task force appointed to examine WorkSafeNB’s current financial situation, governing legislation and overall objectives, and the effectiveness of the workers’ compensation system has been meeting and gathering information over the past few months,” said Dennis Browne, chair of the task force. “I encourage both employers and workers to read the discussion paper and attend the upcoming public sessions or submit their feedback online or by mail.”
The discussion paper is available online. It details the current environment and will guide discussion on how to ensure the system appropriately addresses the needs and realities of current and future workplaces, while also striking the right balance between compensation for injured workers and the financial interests of employers.
“The task force is looking forward to hearing from stakeholders, injured workers, and the general public,” said worker representative Glenn Sullivan, who is president of the Atlantic Provinces Professional Fire Fighters Association.
“The discussion paper and public consultation will provide an opportunity to submit written comments or present directly to task force members in November,” said employer representative Sherri Deveau of Practical Human Resource Solutions Inc.
Public consultations will be held in five regions. The task force will receive comments from the public and stakeholder groups until Dec. 7.
The schedule of public meetings is as follows:
- Grand Falls – Thursday, Nov. 2, 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at Centre E.& P. Sénéchal Center, 60 Ouellette St.
- Fredericton – Friday, Nov. 3, 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Fredericton Convention Centre, 670 Queen St.
- Bathurst – Tuesday, Nov. 21, 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Best Western, 150 Main St.
- Moncton – Wednesday, Nov. 22, 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Delta Beausejour, 750 Main St.
- Saint John – Thursday, Nov. 23, 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Delta Brunswick, 39 King St.