Insect and animal-related diseases can be transmitted to humans and pets through different routes. The most common ways are through bites or contact with animals and their feces (stool). Being protected is easy:
- To prevent tick bites, look for ticks on yourself, children and pets after being outdoors and remove immediately.
- Be a responsible pet owner and vaccinate your pets for rabies.
- To prevent dog and cat bites, do not pet unfamiliar dogs or cats.
- Enjoy wildlife from a distance and do not handle wild animals.
- Wash your hands with running water and soap after contact with animals or their feces (stool).
Seek medical attention if you have been bitten by an animal.