REVISED / Community information sessions on primary health care10 October 2017
FREDERICTON (GNB) – New Brunswickers are encouraged to participate in upcoming community information sessions regarding primary health care.
“Your government knows that the availability and delivery of health services have a significant impact on the quality of life of the people of our province,” said Health Minister Benoît Bourque. “We are taking concrete action today to build capacity in our primary health-care system to better meet the needs of our rapidly aging population.”
In September, the government announced the services of Ambulance New Brunswick, the Extra-Mural Program and Tele-Care 811 were being integrated to help manage primary health-care needs. Effective Jan. 1, Medavie Health Services New Brunswick will manage the operations of Ambulance New Brunswick and the Extra-Mural Program, and will leverage the services of Tele-Care 811 to improve co-ordination of these services.
Nine community information sessions concerning this initiative will be held throughout the province from Oct. 16 to Nov. 7. Representatives of the government and Medavie will participate, as will health-care professionals.
“This co-ordinated approach keeps patients at the heart of the health-care model,” said Bourque. “We want New Brunswickers to understand that more communication and information sharing will ensure the right care, at the right time and place, by the right provider. This initiative will enable New Brunswickers to stay in their own homes as long as possible, to receive greater help navigating the health-care system, and to experience greater continuity of care.”
“Having more care delivered in the homes and communities of New Brunswick is good news for patients and their families,” said Medavie CEO Bernard Lord. “This integration of primary health-care services will provide patients with easier access to the care they require, resulting in a better patient experience and improved health outcomes.”
Following is the schedule of information sessions:
- Saint John - Monday, Oct. 16, 6:30 p.m. - Delta Brunswick, 39 King St.
- Moncton - Tuesday, Oct. 17, 6:30 p.m. - Delta Beauséjour, 750 Main St.
- Shippagan - Monday, Oct. 23, 6:30 p.m. - Club d’Âge d’Or de Shippagan - 150 DeGrâce St.
- Perth-Andover - Wednesday, Oct. 25, 6:30 p.m. - Perth Elks Lodge, 549 East Riverside Dr.
- Fredericton - Thursday, Oct. 26, 6:30 p.m. - Fredericton Convention Centre, 670 Queen St.
- Campbellton - Monday, Oct. 30, 6:30 p.m. - Memorial Regional Civic Center, second floor, 44 Salmon Blvd.
- St. Stephen - Wednesday, Nov. 1, 6:30 p.m. - Garcelon Civic Centre, 22 Budd Ave.
- Edmundston - Monday, Nov. 6, 6:30 p.m. - Centre de congrès, 74 Canada Rd.
- Miramichi - Tuesday, Nov. 7, 6:30 p.m. - Exhibition Pavilion, 24 Church St.