The shield on our coat of arms , linking us with England, through the lion and celebrating our maritime location and shipbuilding prominence, was assigned by Royal Warrant of Queen Victoria on May 26, 1868. The crest and motto were assigned by Order of the Lieutenant Governor in Council in 1966. Other features were assigned by Royal Warrant of Queen Elizabeth II on Sept. 24, 1984, during a visit to Fredericton.
Certain government documentation should use the coat of arms rather than official wordmarks. Legislative and judicial documents should carry the coat of arms as an identifying symbol. Some specialized items, such as certificates, can use this symbol. In such cases, contact Design Services, Government Services.