Government of New Brunswick

You might think that because you receive social assistance or are a low-income earner there is no need to file your income tax return. However, depending on your personal situation, you may be eligible to receive credits and benefits by simply filing your annual income tax and benefit return.

* Under proposed legislation, this amount will increase starting in July 2018.

If you need help preparing your income tax and benefit return, the Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVITP) may be able to assist you. This free program is available to eligible taxpayers who have modest income and simple tax situations. For more information on this service, visit or call 1-800-959-8281

The Government of New Brunswick offers the NB Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) credit. The full credit is provided to New Brunswickers with a family income of less than $35,000 per year. The credit is reduced by two cents for every dollar of income above $35,000. Individuals with incomes of less than $50,000, or a family of two adults and two children with incomes of less than $75,000, could receive some benefit from the HST credit.

What to bring to an income tax clinic

What to do when you get an income tax refund

The Financial Consumer Agency of Canada (FCAC) has collaborated with CRA to develop the publication “What to do when you get an income tax refund” in PDF format that can be printed. This publication offers valuable guidance on financial rights and the steps you can take to effectively manage your money.

The publication covers topics and resources that a number of CVITP organizations indicated would be useful. It includes:

  • Cashing a Government of Canada cheque for free
  • Getting immediate access to the first $100 of a cheque
  • Direct deposit
  • Your right to open a bank account
  • Tips for finding the right bank account for your needs
  • Free, online tools:
    -  Budget Calculator
    -  Financial Goal Calculator
    -  Account Comparison Tool

What to do when you get an income tax refund

2018 Money Pie Super Clinics

ESIC, the Canada Revenue Agency and Service Canada are teaming up to help New Brunswickers with a modest income file their taxes, get their children a Social Insurance Number (bring your children's birth certificate) and sign them up for the Canada Learning Bond all at the same time and location.  They can also learn about other programs and possible benefits for their families and for seniors. For more information on Super Clinics, call toll free 1-800-959-8281

Dates, time and locations of the 2018 Super Clinics:

Location Date Time Address
Edmundston March 5 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Université de Moncton, campus Edmundston, 165 boul Hébert, Pavillon Simon-Larouche Building
Fredericton March 13 1 p.m. - 5 p.m. Brunswick Street Baptist Church,
161, York Street, Fredericton
Woodstock March 15 2 p.m. - 7 p.m. L.P. Fisher Public Library, Woodstock, 679 Main St
Bathurst March 17 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. CCNB Bathurst,
725 College St
Saint John March 20 9:15 a.m. - 12
(break for lunch)
1 p.m.- 2:45 p.m.
Salvation Army,
27, Prince Edward St
Elsipogtog First Nation April 7 9 a.m. - 3 p.m. 230 Big Cove Road Community Hall


Provincial and federal tax credits and benefits available include:

New Brunswick