Reduce the risk of losing it to wildfire:
- Store gas and other dangerous liquids in safe containers.
- Keep those containers away from occupied buildings.
- Keep tanks a safe distance from buildings. (In case of fire, valves can be shut down.)
- Keep the surrounding area clear of vegetation.
- Clean roof and gutters regularly.
- Keep a screen over every chimney or stovepipe opening. (Make sure it is non-flammable.)
- Remove any tree limbs near a stove or chimney opening. (Within three metres)
- Remove lower branches from tree trunks. (Recommended height: three to five metres)
- Have fire tools handy. (For example: ladder that will reach the roof, shovel, rake, water bucket)
- All roads and driveways should be at least five metres wide.
- Post your name and address at the entrance to your driveway.
- Clean leaves and debris from around buildings.
- Have at least two entrance and exit routes from your house.
- Space your shrubs at least 4.5 metres apart.
- Names of roads should be indicated at all intersections.
- Garden hose should be connected to an outlet.
- Use a fire-safe container to dispose of ashes and charcoal.
- If it will burn – keep it away from buildings.
(For example: firewood, picnic table, boat.) .