Investment in Miramichi road project27 February 2018
MIRAMICHI (GNB) – The provincial government is partnering with the City of Miramichi to fund the reconstruction of part of Route 117 this summer. It is part of a $30-million investment in transportation infrastructure in the Greater Miramichi region.
“Your government recognizes that strong partnerships with municipalities are important as we improve our roads and highways,” said Transportation and Infrastructure Minister Bill Fraser. “Better roads mean safer, more efficient transportation for goods and people, and help keep our economy moving forward.”
About 650 metres of Route 117, from civic number 1265 to Knox Street, will be rebuilt. The municipality will fund 15 per cent of the cost and the provincial government will fund the remaining 85 per cent.
Under the Municipal Designated Highway Program, municipalities apply for funding assistance for capital upgrade projects. Funding for the program has more than doubled since the 2014-15 fiscal year, increasing to $25 million in 2015. It has remained at that level as part of a government commitment to sustain funding for municipalities.
“The Municipal Designated Highway Program has allowed our city to move forward with many important infrastructure projects,” said Miramichi Mayor Adam Lordon. “We appreciate the Government of New Brunswick’s contributions to the maintenance of our shared roads in the Miramichi.”
The Department of Transportation and Infrastructure’s $688.2-million capital budget reflects the government’s priority of investing strategically in its buildings, highways and bridges. Strategic investments in infrastructure are a key component of the multi-year New Brunswick Economic Growth Plan, the government’s framework for growing the economy and creating jobs.27-02-18