Enabling Agricultural Research and Innovation
Encourage the growth, profitability, sustainability and self-sufficiency of New Brunswick’s agriculture, agri-food, agri-product, agri-science and agri-processing sectors.
• Indigenous People or Organizations
• Agriculture producers (individuals or groups)
• Agriculture producer associations
• Academic or research institutions
• Other individuals or groups capable of achieving program objectives
Applicants are eligible for funding assistance for approved activities intended to encourage the growth, profitability, sustainability and self-sufficiency of New Brunswick’s agriculture, agri-food, agri-product, agri-science and agri-processing sectors through innovative research and development projects; on-farm demonstration trials; pre-commercialization development activities; on-farm innovation; and adoption of new technologies that have a regional or local impact.
Examples of activities under the program include, but not limited to:
• Projects which address gaps in scientific knowledge that target new innovation opportunities.
• Industry-led research and development projects including integrated pest management, production management, cultivar evaluation trials, and research to support new opportunities/technologies for New Brunswick.
• Support for positions at the graduate level or higher (Highly Qualified People (HQP)) for strategic research related to agricultural science, research, and innovation.
• Proof of concept, product design, bench tests, pilot projects, product testing, and prototyping.
• Pre-commercialization business development requirements such as market studies/analysis, business plans, IP, feasibility studies, etc.
• Activities that trigger the development of economic linkages with commercialization partners to broker or develop new value-chains.
• Innovative technology and practices that are new, not generally available, or not widely adopted in a given region or sector.
• Development of new equipment or other technologies for use on-farm, as well as adapting existing equipment or technologies in a new and innovative manner for use in New Brunswick.
• Demonstration trials to accelerate technology transfer of techniques or practices that will be of benefit to New Brunswick farmers.
A. Innovative Research and Development: To provide financial assistance to support short to medium term (1-5 years) innovative research and development projects which can improve profitability, competitiveness, sustainability and self-sufficiency of the agriculture, agri-food, agri-product and agri-science sectors in New Brunswick.
B. Accelerating Agricultural Innovation: To provide financial assistance to accelerate new product, practice or process development leading to their commercialization or adoption which can improve the profitability, competitiveness, sustainability and self-sufficiency of the agriculture, agri-food, agri-product and agri-science sectors in New Brunswick.
C. Innovative Technology and Demonstration: To support the early adopters of new technologies or practices as well as supporting the development, adaptation, or demonstration of technical innovations on-farm.