Note: Please ensure you have attached necessary documents in Word or PDF format. Links to cloud-based documents (Skydrive, Google Docs, etc.) or other download areas (FTP sites) cannot be accepted due to current Government of New Brunswick security policies.
Vacancy for appointment
New Brunswick Public Libraries Board
The New Brunswick Public Libraries Board (NBPLB) was established under the New Brunswick Public Libraries Act (1997).
The NBPLB is responsible for advising the Minister of Post-Secondary Education, Training and Labour on issues related to policy, services, budget and standards for public library services.
The NBPLB is comprised of 14 members:
- five members elected at the regional forums;
- eight members appointed by the Minister from the public at large; and
- the Provincial Librarian (Executive Director of New Brunswick Public Library Service (NBPLS), who is a non-voting member.
The Provincial Government is now accepting expressions of interest from qualified candidates who would like to be considered for an appointment to the New Brunswick Public Libraries Board (NBPLB). Expressions of interest that are received for this position may also be used to fill future vacancies.
Qualifications / Commitment:
Considerations for Board composition are as follows:
- Candidates must be residents of New Brunswick;
- Candidates will come from various regions of the province and from different areas of interest;
- Candidates must have a demonstrated interest in the development and delivery of public library services in the province, and the desire to contribute their time and effort to support the provincial public library system;
- Candidates must be able to attend and participate in Board meetings (generally 2 per year) and actively participate in the proceedings;
- Candidates are expected to keep up to date with public library issues, and to take part in the promotion of the public library system; and
Candidates are expected to participate in the library regional forum meetings (generally 2 per year).
Essential Qualifications / Asset Qualifications:
The Board as a whole shall reflect the cultural and geographic diversity of the province, its English and French linguistic duality and the need for balanced gender representation.
Conditions / Compensation:
Appointees must agree to attend and actively participate in Board meetings and to be active in the work of the Board. Transportation, lodging and meal expenses are reimbursed as per provincial travel policy.
Expressions of interest (a résumé and cover letter) may be submitted by e-mail, regular mail or fax with details of education, volunteer, board/committee and work experience, and contact information (telephone, civic address and e-mail). In addition, please complete the application form.
While we appreciate the interest of those who submit an expression of interest, only those candidates selected for consideration will be contacted. Inquiries relating to this opportunity can be made after the deadline passes and should be directed to the Department of Post-Secondary Education, Training and Labour.
Department of Post-Secondary Education, Training and Labour
Attention: Katelin Cummings
470 York Street
Fredericton, New Brunswick E3B 5H1
By Fax: (506) 453-3780
Deadline for Submission :
31 October 2017
Type of Appointment :
The Minister appoints board members for a term of three (3) years, and board members may be reappointed for one additional consecutive term not exceeding three years, for a maximum total of six (6) consecutive years.
Associated / Responsible Department :Post-Secondary Education, Training and Labour
E-mail address for submissions :